Dutch Sephardi and Ashkenazi Family History
My ancestors were Dutch Jews with origins in Portugal, Turkey, and
Central Europe, who migrated to the Netherlands, and from there to
England and other parts of the world. In 1811-12, all Dutch citizens had to take a surname. This was the origin of my father's
surname Rabbie, and my mother's surname Pampel. Following the German
occupation of the Netherlands in 1940,
hundreds of family members
were deported and murdered in Nazi concentration camps.
Jacob Abraham REBBIE (the Levite), born about 1745,
died 6 January 1814 in Amsterdam. On 5 February 1812, he took the
family name Rabbie.
Isaac Isaac PAMPEL, born about 1740 in Amsterdam. On 17 January 1812,
he took the family name Pampel.
Joseph Cohen BELINFANTE, born in Lisbon, Portugal. He moved to Dalmatia in 1526 following the expulsion of the Jews from Spain and Portugal.
See this article about the family in the 1906 edition of the Jewish Encyclopedia.
Abraham Haim Levie MONTANH╩S, born about 1762 in Constantinople,
Turkey, died 1829 in Amsterdam. This name is also spelled Monta˝Ús,
Montanhez, Montanjies, Montanjees, Montagnes, and Monty.
Levie Jonas VAN PRAAG (from Prague), born about 1727 in Prague, Bohemia.
He moved to Amsterdam about 1754 when the Empress Maria Theresa expelled the Jews.
Duarte DA SILVA (1596 - 1688) Portuguese converso financier, who was the administrator of the dowry of Catarina de Braganša when she married King Charles II of England.
Jacob CURIEL also known as Duarte NUNES DA COSTA (1587 - 1665). He left Portugal in 1609 for Hamburg, where he was the agent of the Portuguese crown.
- Netherlands Society for Dutch Genealogy
Dutch Jewish Genealogy Database
- Center for Research on Dutch Jewry
- Facebook: The Sephardic Diaspora
- Facebook: Dutch Jewish Genealogy
- A History of the Marranos, Cecil Roth, 1932
- The Belinfante Family Odyssey, Randall Belinfante, 2004
- 101,467 victims of the Holocaust in the Netherlands
- Digital Monument to the Jewish Community in the Netherlands
- The Jewish Encyclopedia, New York, 1906
- Americans of Jewish Descent - First American Jewish Families, Rabbi Malcolm Stern, New York, 1960
- Search the genealogical data of Dutch and Belgian archives
- Bevis Marks Synagogue - 2011 Video